News & Congratulations
CTEP Mentor Dr. Christopher Mason Recognized for his Contribution to Clinical Research
Dr. Mason, CTEP Mentor to 2012 Summer Intensive Fellowship Medical Student Anna Starikov, is the recipient of the 2013 Irma T. Hirschl/Monique Weill-Caulier Scholar Award in recognition of his contribution to clinical research. He is an assistant professor of computational genomics, physiology and biophysics at the HRH Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud Institute for Computational Biomedicine.
March 18, 2014: CTEP Students Performed in Music & Medicine Fundraising Event
CTEP Advanced Certificate Students Jenna Devare, BS, and Katherine Van Oss, MD, performed at a Music & Medicine event to help raise money for the Weill Cornell Center for Human Rights on Tuesday, March 18, 2014, in the Caspary Auditorium at the Rockefeller University.
The conductor was Yuga Cohler and the program included Weber’s Overture to Der Freischütz; Tchaikovsky’s Variations on a Rococo Theme, featuring Sebastian Bäverstam, cello; and Brahms, Symphony No. 4.
March 20, 2014: CTSC Summer Fellows Poster Presentations at Medical Student Research Day
Our CTSC Summer Student Fellows presented their research at the 2014 Medical Student Research Day on Thursday, March 20th, in the Griffis Faculty Club. Listed are the Summer Fellows’ names and their research projects:
- Brian Fidali: Electroencephalographic correlates of familiar and unfamiliar music processing in two minimally conscious patients
- Myles Melton: Elevated risk of sudden hearing loss in neurotologists – implications for an infectious cause
- Samir Patel: Functional modifications of retinal images in quantitative plus disease diagnosis of retinopathy of prematurity
- Jonathan Reiss: Radioimmunotherapy is Associated with Low Rates of Secondary Malignancies in Patients with Indolent Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Rachael Venn: Role of endothelial jagged 1 on glioma cell growth
March 24, 2014: Spring 2014 Quarter IV Registration Reminder
Registration for Spring 2014, Quarter IV will be held the week of March 24, 2014 – March 28, 2014 through Weill Cornell Graduate School’s (WCGS) web-based system (https://learn.weill.cornell.edu/ics).
The Quarter IV courses include:
- Bioinformatics Workshop
- Data Management
- Ethical, Social & Legal Issues in RCR
- Heart-to-Heart: Experiential Learning in Community Outreach
- Research Grant Writing
- Statistical Methods of Observational Studies
- Understanding Team Dynamics
Questions regarding registration may be emailed to Sirida Subudom at email@example.com.
2014 CTSC Travel Award Winners Announced
Every year the CTSC sponsors Travel Awards for scholars and trainees to attend and present at the Translational Science Annual Meeting. Translational Science is a great way for our students to gain national exposure and network with others working in clinical and translational research. The 2014 Translational Science meeting will be held in Washington, DC.
We congratulate the following CTSC Travel Awardees:
- Yen Hsun (Ernie) Chen, TL1 Trainee, Simvastatin-Containing Micelles for Improving Fracture Repair
- Ajay Gupta, Advanced Certificate Student, Can Carotid Plaque Thickness Measurements Predict Symptomatic Disease in High Grade Carotid Artery Stenosis?
- Samir Patel, CTEP SIFMS, Influence of Fluorescein Angiography on the Diagnosis of Zone in Retinopathy of Prematurity
- Matias Sanchez, MSKCC Fellow, Donor WT-1 Sensitized Cytotoxic T Lymphocytes for Patients With Myelofibrosis Undergoing Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation
- Wendy Vargas, Advanced Certificate Student, Longitudinal Change in Myelin Water Fraction in New Multiple Sclerosis Lesions
May 16, 2014: CTSC Research in Progress Luncheon
CTSC Associate Program Director, Dr. Olaf Sparre Andersen, is hosting the next luncheon on Friday, May 16th. These well-attended luncheons, hosted by CTSC faculty, feature student presentations of their research—a valuable peer learning opportunity for first year students or those new to research. Featured presenters to be announced.